Exam-style Questions: Theoretical Standpoints
It hardly needs emphasising how much the success of the participant observer's approach depends on his or her skill and personality.
If these command the respect and friendship of those being observed, and if they are combined with an ability to interpret and describe what is seen, the method enables the presentation of a picture of social reality at once more vivid, complete and authentic than is possible with other methods. But any defects in his or her approach and ability can easily arouse suspicion, and so undermine the study.
Participant observation is a highly individual technique.
With reference to the Item and other sources evaluate the claim that in participant observation studies, what is gained in terms of validity is lost in reliability.
(Marks available: 20)
Answer outline and marking scheme for question: 1
- You must refer to the item.
- You must provide information from your own knowledge.
- You must explain the terms validity and reliability.
- You must have an evaluation.
What's in the item?
- The emphasis on skill and personality.
- The possibility of a more complete and authentic picture.
- A highly individual technique.
The item provides some reasons for thinking that participant observation will produce valid research. However, there are also suggestions as to why reliability is unlikely - for example, that the technique is highly individual.
- What makes reliability possible-clear instructions and agreed technique?
- Why is reliability not possible in participant observation - individualistic technique no agreed approach?
- Participant observation allows for empathy/subjective understanding.
- Reliability demands objectivity.
- Taking the role of the other.
- No clear method guide.
- In participant observation, personality of researcher is important.
- A gain in validity is far more important than reliability.
Give yourself 2 marks For a definitions of validity. Give yourself 2 marks For a definition of reliability. Give yourself 2 marks For explaining the importance of skill. Give yourself 2 marks For explaining the importance of personality. Give yourself 2 marks For explaining the importance of authenticity. Give yourself 2 marks For explaining the importance of individuality. Give yourself 4 marks For explaining why each of the above attributes hinder reliability. Give yourself 4 marks For explaining why the same attributes can improve validity
Give yourself 4 marks for an evaluation that:
Basically agrees with the claim in the question and that explains why this is unavoidable because of the nature of PO which needs to be flexible and individualistic and that this works against reliability which it needs a consistent approach to a research problem
Finally an extra 2 marks if you explain why validity is more important than reliability because validity is about meaning while reliability is only about consistent measurement.
(Marks available: 20)