Terms & Conditions
PART I - GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Access to and use of 'S-cool.co.uk' both within the UK and internationally is provided by S-cool under the following terms:
- By using S-cool.co.uk you agree to be bound by these terms, which shall take effect immediately on your first use of S-cool.co.uk. If you do not agree to be bound by all of the following terms please do not access, use and/or contribute to S-cool.co.uk.
- S-cool may change these terms from time to time and so you should check these terms regularly. Your continued use of S-cool.co.uk will be deemed acceptance of the updated or amended terms. If you do not agree to the changes, you should cease using this website. If there is any conflict between these terms and specific local terms appearing elsewhere on S-cool.co.uk then the latter shall prevail.
- You agree to use S-cool.co.uk only for lawful purposes, and in a way that does not infringe the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else's use and enjoyment of S-cool.co.uk. Prohibited behaviour includes harassing or causing distress or inconvenience to any person or disrupting the normal flow of dialogue within S-cool.co.uk.
- All copyright, trade marks, design rights, patents and other intellectual property rights (registered and unregistered) in and on S-cool.co.uk and all content (including all applications) located on the site shall remain vested in the S-cool or its licensors (which includes other users). You may not copy, reproduce, republish, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, download, post, broadcast, transmit, make available to the public, or otherwise use S-cool.co.uk content in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. You also agree not to adapt, alter or create a derivative work from any S-cool.co.uk content except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Any other use of S-cool.co.uk content requires the prior written permission of S-cool.
- The names, images and logos identifying S-cool or third parties and their products and services are subject to copyright, design rights and trade marks of S-cool and/or third parties. Nothing contained in these terms shall be construed as conferring any licence or right to use any trade mark, design right or copyright of S-cool or any other third party.
- S-cool.co.uk content, including the information, names, images, pictures, logos and icons regarding or relating to the S-cool, its products and services (or to third party products and services), is provided "AS IS" and on an "AS AVAILABLE" basis. To the extent permitted by law, S-cool excludes all representations and warranties (whether express or implied by law), including the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy. S-cool does not guarantee the timeliness, completeness or performance of the website or any of the content. While we try to ensure that all content provided by S-cool is correct at the time of publication no responsibility is accepted by or on behalf of S-cool for any errors, omissions or inaccurate content on the website.
- Nothing in these terms limits or excludes S-cool's liability for death or personal injury caused by its proven negligence. Subject to the previous sentence, S-cool shall not be liable for any of the following losses or damage (whether such damage or losses were foreseen, foreseeable, known or otherwise): (a) loss of data; (b) loss of revenue or anticipated profits; (c) loss of business; (d) loss of opportunity; (e) loss of goodwill or injury to reputation; (f) losses suffered by third parties; or (g) any indirect, consequential, special or exemplary damages arising from the use of S-cool.co.uk regardless of the form of action.
- S-cool do not warrant that functions available on S-cool.co.uk will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that S-cool.co.uk or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs. You acknowledge that it is your responsibility to implement sufficient procedures and virus checks (including anti-virus and other security checks) to satisfy your particular requirements for the accuracy of data input and output.
- If any of these terms are determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any state or country in which these terms are intended to be effective, then to the extent and within the jurisdiction in which that term is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted from these terms and the remaining terms shall survive and continue to be binding and enforceable.
- The failure or delay of S-cool to exercise or enforce any right in these terms does not waive S-cool's right to enforce that right.
- These terms shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales which shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any disputes.
S-cool reserves the right to revise these Terms at any time by updating them. You should check the Website from time to time to review the then current Terms, because it is binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated Terms or terms located on particular pages of the Website.
1. Introduction and General Terms
In order to provide you with the full range of S-cool services, we are sometimes required to collect information about you.
• what information S-cool may collect about you;
• how S-cool will use information we collect about you;
• when S-cool may use your details to contact you;
• whether S-cool will disclose your details to anyone else;
• your choices regarding the personal information you have provided to us;
This website contains hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third party websites and your use of such websites is at your own risk. These third party websites have their own privacy policies, including cookies, and we urge you to review them. They will govern the use of personal information you submit or are collected by cookies whilst visiting these sites.
2. What information will S-Cool collect about you?
When you sign up to participate in or receive a service from the S-cool.co.uk website, we may ask for personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, e-mail address, postal address, telephone or mobile number or date of birth.
By entering your details in the fields requested, you enable the S-cool and its service providers to provide you with the services you select.
Please note that sometimes on particular web pages we will require you to provide additional personal information. When we do this we will specify further on these web pages why we are collecting your information and how we will use it.
We also use your IP address to determine whether you are accessing the services from the UK or not.
3. How will S-Cool use the information they collect about me?
S-cool will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
• for "service administration purposes", which means that S-cool may contact you for reasons related to the service you have signed up for (e.g. to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service has been suspended for maintenance);
• to contact you about a submission you have made to the website, including any content you provide;
• to personalise the way S-cool content is presented to you;
• IP addresses are used to identify the location of users, the number of visits from different countries and also to block disruptive use; and
• to analyse and improve the services offered on S-cool.co.uk. e.g. to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience.
• From time to time, S-cool may sponsor a promotion, sweepstake or contest on S-cool. Users may be asked to provide personal information including name, email address or home address or to answer questions in order to participate. We may transfer personal information to certain ad partners that you have explicitly requested to receive information from. It will be clear at the point of collection who is collecting the personal information and whose privacy statement will apply.
It is your responsibility to keep your site login information secure when it’s in your possession. If you are using a shared computer, please ensure you log out of S-cool or close down the browser before leaving the computer for the next user.
4. When will S-Cool contact me?
S-cool may contact you:
• in relation to the functioning of any service you have signed up for in order to ensure that S-cool can deliver the services to you;
• where you have opted to receive further correspondence;
• in relation to any contribution you have made to S-cool.co.uk;
• to invite you to participate in surveys about the S-cool services (participation is always voluntary); and
• for newsletter update relating to S-cool and carefully selected partners/sponsors
• for marketing purposes where you have specifically agreed to this.
Local pages will give you detailed information about how S-cool will contact you in relation to specific services.
5. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
S-cool won't contact you for marketing purposes or promote new services to you unless you agree to be contacted for these purposes. In this case, S-cool may send you details of services from carefully selected partners/sponsors.
6. Will S-Cool share my personal information with anyone else?
We will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law or as described in the paragraph below. We will only use your information within S-cool except where S-cool uses third parties to deliver the service/process your information. S-cool requires third parties to comply strictly with its instructions and S-cool require that they do not use your personal information for their own or any other business purposes.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmission to our site; any transmission is at you own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use the strict procedures to try and prevent unauthorised access.
7. What if I am a user aged 16 or under?
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent/guardian's permission beforehand whenever your provide personal information to the S-cool's website. Users without consent should not provide us with personal information.
8. How long will S-Cool keep my personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the provision of the relevant service.
Where you contribute to S-cool.co.uk, S-cool will generally only keep your content for as long as is reasonably required for the purpose(s) for which it was submitted. For example, S-cool will only keep copies of entries to a competition for the duration of the competition. However, other projects are likely to have a longer, or even permanent, duration.
Combined statistics about visitors, traffic patterns, answers to questions, content entered and related site information may be provided to reputable and reliable third parties. The information used for these purposes is aggregated (i.e. combined with other user data) and anonymised and will include no personal information. We may retain data for historical statistical and research purposes. Where data is retained for these purposes, it is stored and processed appropriately in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
9. Can I find out what personal information S-Cool holds about me?
Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to request a copy of the personal information S-cool holds about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. (We may charge £10 for information requests and will require you to prove your identity with 2 pieces of approved identification).
11. Cookies Policy - Information S-Cool collects from you
a. What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes a unique identifier that is sent to your computer or mobile phone (referred to here as a "device") browser from a website's computer and is stored on your device's hard drive. Each website can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser's preferences allow it, but (to protect your privacy) your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other sites. Many sites do this whenever a user visits their website in order to track online traffic flows.
Cookies record information about your online preferences and allow us to tailor the websites to your interests. Users have the opportunity to set their devices to accept all cookies, to notify them when a cookie is issues, or not to receive cookies at any time. The last of these means that certain personalised services cannot then be provided to that user and accordingly you may not be able to take full advantage of all of the S-cool.co.uk features. Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
Information supplied by cookies can help us to analyse the profile of our visitors and help us to provide you with a better user experience. For example: if on a previous visit you went to our education pages, we might find this out from your cookie and highlight educational information on your second and subsequent visits.
As of April 3rd 2014 S-cool allows cookies and other technologies to be placed on your browser by our third party advertising partner RadiumOne. RadiumOne serves adverts that you see displayed. To find out more about what information RadiumOne collects, how it uses that information, what it does to protect that information, and your choices regarding the collection and use of that information (including opting out of this) please visit http://radiumone.com/about/privacy.html
Unifind sources open data from The Key Information Set (KIS) which is collected by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) and also provides more detailed statistics and breakdowns at http://unistats.direct.gov.uk.
KIS information also comprises the items which students have said they find most useful when making choices about which course to study. Some items are measures of student satisfaction which have been taken from the National Student Survey (NSS) which is completed by more than 220,000 mainly final year students in the UK each year.
While S-cool Revision and Unifind endeavour to ensure that information contained in the database is accurate you should note that:
• As the database and Information is provided by universities, other higher education providers and students, we cannot and do not undertake to monitor every item;
• We make no representations, warranties or endorsements about the Higher Education Information or its accuracy; and;
• Anything on this Website is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal or professional advice.
IMPORTANT: Please note that you are solely responsible for any decisions you take based on the information contained in the Website. To the extent permitted by law, we will not be liable to you for any loss or damage arising from your use of the Website.
Except as required by law, we shall not be liable for any indirect, incidental, special or consequential losses or damages or loss of profits, goodwill, data, revenue in each case regardless of whether such losses or damages arise in the normal course of events or whether we have been advised of the possibility of such damages and whether such losses or damages arise in contact or tort (including negligence) and for any reason.
Nothing in these terms shall operate to exclude or restrict our liability for death or personal injury caused by negligence.
© HEFCE copyright material is reproduced with the permission of Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) and may be accessed in its original form here: http://unistats.direct.gov.uk. All copyright and other intellectual property rights in any material contained on the Unistats website are owned by HEFCE or its licensors.
13. Contacting S-Cool
S-cool Youth Marketing Limited
The Leadworks, At-Bristol